Common Names : Wood Apple , Beal
Hindi : Beal
Marathi : Kavat
Bengali : Kathbel
Malayalam : Vila
Tamil : Vilanga
Telugu : Velaga
Scientific Name : Limonia acidissima
Height : More Than 12 meters
Width : More Than 12 meters
Water Need : Normal , Can Tolerate Less
Light : Sun Growing , Semi Shade
Mainly Grown For : Fruits And Seeds
Flowering Season : May , June , July
Flower Colour : White
Leaf Color : Green
Form : Upright Or Erect
Highlights (Wood Apple) :
Indigenous (native to India)
Fragrant flowers or leaves
Auspicious or Feng Shui plant
Good for making bonsai
Plant for puja or prayer flower or leaves
Good for Hedges and Borders
Thorny or Spiny
Suitable for avenue planting
Hanging or weeping growth habit
Salt or salinity tolerant
Must have for Farm house or big gardens
Very ornamental tree. It is slow growing.
Fruits are white and look very ornamental on the tree. Fruit is offered to Lord Shiva.
Grows to around eight meters tall. Excellent Bonsai material.
Leaves have a lemon like scent when crushed.
Fruit pulp is eaten as a vegetable, pickled or raw. Very rich in minerals.
Also Read –
– Qood quality well drained soil is important.
– Plants are evergreen – where water is plentiful. In dry areas they many shed all their leaves.
– Removal of bottom branches receommended.
– One tree planted in a farmhouse will give more than enough fruit for one family (and friends).
– Plants start yielding in 5 to 6 years.