Common Names : Turmeric , Haldi
Scientific Name : Curcuma Domestica
Height : 50cm to 100cm
Width : 50cm to 100cm
Water Need : Normal
Light : Sun Growing
Mainly Grown For : Fruits
Flower Colour : Yellow
Leaf Color : Green
Form : Upright Or Erect
Indigenous (native to India)
Plant for puja or prayer flower or leaves
Can be grown as an ornamental as well as a commercial plant.
Plants are easy to grow.
They require ample water and good drainage at the same time.
The leaves are bright green and striking. Reason enough to grow it as an ornamental. Can be grown in pots as well.
- Hay fever. Taking curcumin, a chemical found in turmeric, seems to reduce hay fever symptoms such as sneezing, itching, runny nose, and congestion.
- Depression. Most available research shows that taking curcumin, a chemical found in turmeric, reduces depression symptoms in people already using an antidepressant.
- High levels of cholesterol or other fats (lipids) in the blood (hyperlipidemia). Turmeric seems to lower levels of blood fats called triglycerides. The effects of turmeric on cholesterol levels are conflicting. There are many different turmeric products available. It is not known which ones work best.
- Buildup of fat in the liver in people who drink little or no alcohol (nonalcoholic fatty liver disease or NAFLD). Research shows that taking turmeric extract reduces markers of liver injury in people who have a liver disease not caused by alcohol. It also seems to help prevent the build-up of more fat in the liver in people with this condition.
- Osteoarthritis. Some research shows that taking turmeric extracts, alone or in combination with other herbal ingredients, can reduce pain and improve function in people with knee osteoarthritis. In some research, turmeric worked about as well as ibuprofen for reducing osteoarthritis pain. But it does not seem to work as well as diclofenac for improving pain and function in people with osteoarthritis.
- Itching. Research suggests that taking turmeric by mouth three times daily for 8 weeks reduces itching in people with long-term kidney disease. Also, early research suggests that taking a specific combination product (C3 Complex, Sami Labs LTD) containing curcumin plus black pepper or long pepper daily for 4 weeks reduces itching severity and improves quality of life in people with chronic itching caused by mustard gas.